Airlines flying to Sofia Airport
Sofia Airport: Flight Options
There are numerous ways of flying to Bulgaria most are via Sofia airport. Here we outline airlines which fly to Sofia airport. Please remember that if you take a stopover flight, you will be using another carrier before you get to Sofia airport (for example Air Serbia to Belgrade). Convenient stopovers from the U.S.A are via Belgrade or Istanbul, but there are plenty of other offers.
Airlines operating to/from Sofia
1. Bulgaria Air. The Bulgaria national carrier this operates numerous European flights from national capitals to Sofia. The full list is; Amsterdam, Athens, Barcelona, Berlin-Tegel, Brussels, Burgas (Bulgaria), Frankfurt, Larnaca, London-Heathrow, Madrid, Málaga, Milan-Malpensa, Moscow-Sheremetyevo, Palma de Mallorca, Paris-Charles de Gaulle, Prague, Rome-Fiumicino, Tel Aviv, Varna, Vienna, Zürich.
2. Al Italia. The Italian national carrier operates flights to Rome-Fiumicino.
3. Aeroflot. This Russian airline operates flights to Moscow.
4. Austrian Airlines. Flies to Vienna
5. British Airways. Flies to London Heathrow
6. Easyjet. This U.K. low-cost carrier flies to London Gatwick, Manchester (every day) and Edinburgh (Seasonal)
7. El AL. The Israel national carrier goes to Tel Aviv.
8. Wizzair. The Hungarian low-cost airline is flying to London Luton and Varna, among several different destinations. The full list is : Alicante, Barcelona, Bari, Basel/Mulhouse, Beauvais, Bergamo, Birmingham, Bologna, Bratislava, Bristol, Budapest, Burgas, Charleroi, Catania, Copenhagen, Doncaster, Dortmund, Dubai-Al Maktoum, Eindhoven, Frankfurt, Geneva, Larnaca, Lisbon (begins 27 March 2018), London-Luton, Madrid, Malta, Munich-Memmingen, Naples, Nice (begins 26 March 2018), Nuremberg, Rome-Fiumicino, Tel Aviv and Valencia.
9. Pegasus. A Turkish low-cost carrier which flies to Turkish holiday resorts, mainly on a charter.
10. Aegean Air. A Greek airline which flies to Athens (formerly called Olympic)
11. Niki. A Vienna based Airline named after the motor-racing driver Niki Lauda. This airline has now been bought out, and, it seems, no longer operates to Sofia.
12. Lufthansa. The German national carrier is flying to Frankfurt and Munich. You can get connecting flights from the U.S.A. via either of these airports.
12. LOT, the Polish airline flying to Warsaw plus other destinations. This route is a viable option for Sofia i.e. New York-Warsaw-Sofia.
13. KLM. The Dutch carrier is flying to Amsterdam.
14. Turkish. Flying to Istanbul.
15. Air France. Traveling to Paris (Charles de Gaulle).
15. Air Serbia. To Belgrade.
16. Swiss. Flying to Zurich (Seasonal Spring/Summer)
17. Fly Dubai. With a Dubai Flight. Increasingly Arab airlines are opening routes into Eastern Europe.
18. Qatar. Flies a route to Doha, both Qatar, Emirates, and Etihad are investing in the Balkans. There is now an Athens-New York (JFK) service from 12th March 2017 with Emirates. Again an Athens-Sofia connecting flight is available.
19. Ryanair. Operates air routes to; Athens, Barcelona, Berlin-Schönefeld, Birmingham, Castellon, Charleroi, Cologne/Bonn, Dublin, Eindhoven, Glasgow, Hamburg, Karlsruhe/Baden-Baden, Liverpool, London-Stansted, Madrid, Memmingen, Milan-Malpensa, Pisa, Rome-Ciampino, Stockholm–Skavsta, Treviso.
20. Jet2 operates from London Stansted, Manchester, Newcastle upon Tyne and Nottingham-East Midlands for the ski-season.
21. Romanian carrier TAROM operates a Bucharest service.
By far the most popular destination is London, followed by Milan, Vienna, Brussels, Frankfurt, and Paris.
Regarding the number of weekly departures, London has 51 flights, Vienna 33, with Frankfurt, Munich, and Varna on 26. Flights to Spain and Israel are proving increasingly popular, Berlin and Warsaw provide one stop connections to the U.S.A.
Sofia Airport is an increasingly busy European hub with a constantly expanding list of routes. For flights from the U.S.A. you have to shop around, but there are many one-stop routes available with some attractive fares. Please go to payless flights for the best flight deals.