- Aer Lingus
- Aerolineas Argentina
- Air Berlin
- Air Canada
- Air Caraibes
- Air China
- Air Europa
- Air France
- Air India
- Air Jamaica
- Air New Zealand
- Air North Airlines
- Air Pacific (Fiji Airways)
- Air Tahiti Nui
- Air Tran
- Alaska Airlines
- American Airlines
- Asiana Airlines
- Austrian Airlines
- Bahamas air
- Bemidji Airlines
- British Airways
- Brussels Airlines
- Bulgaria Air
- Cathay Pacific
- China Eastern
- China Southern Airline
- Condor Airlines
- Copa airlines
- Czech Airlines
- Delta Air Lines
- Egypt air
- Emirates Air
- Eva Airways
- Frontier Airlines
- Gulf Air
- Hawaiian Airlines
- IndiGo Air
- Israel Airlines
- Japan Airlines
- Kenya Airways
- Korean air
- LOT Polish Airlines
- Lufthansa Airlines
- Malaysia airlines
- Mesa Airlines
- Midwest Airlines
- Qantas Airways
- Royal Jordanian
- SAS Scandinavian
- Saudi Arabian
- Singapore airlines
- South African
- Southwest airlines
- Spirit airlines
- Srilankan airlines
- Sun Country
- Swiss International
- Taca Airlines
- TAM airlines
- TAP Portugal
- Thai Air
- Turkish Airlines
- Ukrainian Airlines
- United Airlines
- US Airways
- Virgin America
- Virgin Atlantic
- Virgin Australia Airlines
AviancaGeneral | Contact Info | Baggage Info | Traveling with Children | Traveling with Pets
Avianca LinksAirline Code:AV Website:www.avianca.com Frequent Flyer Program:
Avianca has codeshare agreements with the following airlines:
Reservations from the USA: 1 (800) 284-2622, TDD (Telephone Device for the Deaf): 1 (866) 998-3357
Code-share PartnersAir Canada Delta Air Lines Iberia Taca Airlines
You should have all the documents required by the authorities in order when leaving Colombia, or when entering your destination country. Please remember that police, customs and other airport organizations at your destination and/or origin, can open and check your baggage (even if they have been wrapped in plastic), without requiring the presence of the traveler.
FREE BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE
For flights in Colombia
The maximum amount of free baggage allowance for adults or children paying 50% or more of the adult fare and children from 2 to 12 years age is 30 kg in Business class and 20 kg in Tourist class.
No matter the number of pieces of baggage, the total may not exceed 30 kilos.
The total outer dimensions (length + width + height) of each piece will not exceed 158 cm. (62").
For flights to and from South America, Central America and the Caribbean
For flights to and from Aruba, Buenos Aires, Caracas, Curacao, Guayaquil, Lima, Panama, Punta Cana, Quito, Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo, Santiago de Chile, Valencia (Venezuela) the weight system is used and the maximum amount of baggage that each passenger may check in free of charge is:
Adults - 40 kg in Business class and 30 kg in Tourist class
Children (2 to 12 years of age) - 40 kg in Business class and 30 kg in Tourist class
Infants - 10 kg in both classes
Regardless of the number of pieces, the total may not exceed 30 kg.
The total outer dimensions (length + width + height) of each piece will not exceed 158 cm. (62").
Flights to and from the United States, Mexico, and Spain / Except for Brazil
The piece system applies to flights to and from the United States, Mexico, and Spain. The maximum baggage weight that a passenger may check, without any additional cost is:
Adults and Children (2 - 12 years of age) - 3 pieces of baggage, up to 23 kg (50 lb) each in Business class and 2 pieces of baggage, up to 23 kg (50 lb) each in Tourist class
Infants - 1 piece of baggage, up to 10 kg (22 lb) in Business class 1 piece of baggage, up to 10 kg (22 lb) in Tourist class
The outer dimensions (height x length x width) of each piece of baggage must not exceed 158 cm (62").
The outer dimensions of the piece of baggage checked for an infant must not exceed 115 cm (45"), plus a portable stroller that reduces substantially in size when folded.
Flights from Brazil to the United States, Mexico, and Spain, and flights from the United States, Mexico, and Spain to Brazil
Adults and children (2 - 12 years of age) - 3 pieces of baggage, up to 32 kg (70 lb) each in Business class and 2 pieces of baggage, up to 32 kg (70 lb) each in Tourist class. The outer dimensions (height x length x width) of each piece of baggage must not exceed 158 cm (62").
Infants - 1 piece of baggage, up to 10 kg (22 lb) 1 piece of baggage, up to 10 kg (22 lb). The outer dimensions of the piece of baggage checked for an infant must not exceed 115 cm (45"), plus a portable stroller that reduces substantially in size when folded.
For flights to Ecuador from Panama and from Panama to Ecuador
Adults and Children (2 to 12 years of age) - 2 pieces up to 32 kilos (70 lb.) each 2 pieces with a combined weight up to 32 kilos (70 lb.).
Infants - 1 piece up to 10 kilos (22 lb.) 1 p- ece up to 10 kilos (22 lb.)
The maximum weight per piece is 32 kilos (70 lb.) and the total outer dimensions (length + width + height) of each piece will not exceed 158 cm. (62 inches).
For its domestic or international trips, Avianca - SAM allows one piece of carry-on baggage: maximum weight 10 kg. (22 lb.) and maximum outer dimensions (length+ width + height) 115 cm. (45”). There are baggage measurement devices in the customer service areas. You should check to verify that your carry-on bagge meets the dimension requirements. Furthermore, at no additional cost, each passenger may take on board one of the following items:
A woman’s handbag; An overcoat, wrap or blanket; A cane; A camera or binoculars; Photography and video equipment; laptops; Food and drink for babies during the flight.; a baby cradle; a wheelchair, crutches or any other orthopedic device that the passenger must use.
Special control measures for carrying liquids, gels and air sprays in the carry-on baggage in international flights departing from Colombia
Carrying liquids, gels and air sprays in carry-on baggage. Such liquids must be carried in containers with a maximum individual capacity of 100 ml (3 ounces) and packed in a transparent 1 liter (1 quart) 20 x 20 cm. (8.0” x 7.5”) ziplock plastic bag.
Items considered liquids with cabin restrictions
* Water and other beverages, soups, syrups.
* Creams, lotions and oils, including toothpaste.
* Gel (shower gel or shampoo)
* Pressurized containers, including shaving foam, other foams and deodorants.
* Any other liquid similar to the above.
Liquids excluded from this restriction
Medicine, liquids (including fruit juices) or gels for diabetics or for other medical purposes. Baby formulas, mother’s milk or fruit juice in baby bottles, and canned or bottled food for babies and small children. Special diet liquids for passengers. Also excluded are items bought in duty-free shops in the airport or onboard the airplane. Such items must be packed in sealed containers that cannot be unduly altered and passengers must have satisfactory proof that the item was bought in one of the duty-free shops in the airport on the day of the trip. This applies to passengers leaving the airport as well as to those in transit.
Children between 2 and 11 years must travel with a responsible adult. Infants under 2 do not occupy seats.
Children between 5 and 11 years of age traveling alone are required to travel as Supervised Minors with the following exception:
1. If the destination/origin* is the United States, the range is from 5 to 14 years.
2. If the destination is Panama, the obligatory range is from 5 to 17 years.
The person who picks up the supervised minor in the airport in Panama must be at the airport at the planned flight arrival time to receive the minor. Additionally, if the receiving adult is a tourist in Panama, they must take their passport with them to immigration so that they can make a copy of the document.
Avianca Air offers two service options for pet transportation, in the cabin or as checked-baggage:
Pets traveling in the cabin costs
- For domestic flights within Colombia this service is free of charge.
- Flights in the rest of the world have a USD100 charge.
- For all flights a pet kennel counts as a passenger's carry-on bag
Pets traveling in the cabin Restrictions
- Cabin transport is only available for dogs, cats and small birds.
- Dogs and cats must be at least eight weeks old, as due to their size they are prone to dehydration during the journey.
- This services applies to all flights except those to and from Spain.
- The weight of the pet included in the pet carrier must not exceed eight kilograms (17.6 pounds).
- The maximum size for pet carriers is: height 35cm (14”), length 56cm (22”), and width 25 cm (10”). Animals must have sufficient space available to be able to stand up and turn around.
- Only one animal per pet carrier is allowed.
- Bird transportation is only allowed on flights within Colombia.
- Live exotic birds, protected or endangered species are not allowed to be transported in the cabin or the hold.
- Animals that are specially trained to accompany people with disabilities are allowed in the cabin without any pet carriers and not pay any additional charge. Guide and rescue dogs must travel at the feet of their owners with a special harness in addition to their basket. The dog's owner must present the respective certification and identify the dog via microchip.
- Passengers must make their reservation in advance to make sure that the maximum pet allowance per flight is not exceeded and there is space for their pet.
- If you are traveling with another airline you must make sure they have confirmed the pet service. Pets are not interlined between Avianca and other carriers.
- You must comply with all the laws and pet travel permissions according to the legislation of the country of origin and destination.
- You must comply with the rules regarding dimensions and maximum weight of the pet carriers and pets.
- Pets are not allowed outside their carriers at any time during the flight. The Avianca pet transporter or passenger's own pet carrier must be impermeable.
- Do not put food or water inside the pet carrier.
- The Company will not assume any responsibility for injuries and/or death of the animal that may occur during transport.
- Birds that are by their very nature noisy, must be sedated if they are to be transported in the cabin, under the direct responsibility of the Passenger; otherwise they must go in the hold.
Please take into account that if during the flight, or before the start of the flight, or if the flight has already taken off at the next stage of the journey, if the animal shows any aggressive behavior, the pilot will decide whether to send the animal to the hold at his discretion.
Pet carriers offered by Avianca for pets traveling in the cabin
Dimensions: height 35cm (14”), length 56cm (22”), and width 25 cm (10”).
Pet carriers can be acquired in the Avianca ticket office in the airports where the service is available for the following cost:
- Airports in Colombia: COP 55.000
- International Airports: USD 45 (Taxes included)
Pets traveling as checked-baggage
Dogs, cats and birds are the only animals allowed for domestic flights.
Avianca will only lend pet carriers on flights within Colombia when a previous reservation exists.
For flights in the rest of the world: dogs and cats are the only animals accepted with the exception of:
- On the Bogotá-San José-Bogotá route pets are not allowed to be transported as checked-baggage in the hold.
- Entering pets and foodstuffs into the islands of Aruba and Curacao is completely prohibited due to the strict rules in place in these countries. This restriction does not apply to fighting cocks.
- Cats are not allowed into Colombia if they come from countries affected by Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy “mad cow disease”.
For all flights
- Dogs and cats must be at least eight weeks old to travel, as due to their size they are prone to dehydration during the journey.
- Pets that weigh more than 45 kg (100 pounds) are not allowed to travel in the hold.
- If the pet stands in excess of 35 cm at the withers, it must travel in a metallic pet carrier approved for air transport and a muzzle is not required.
- Only one animal can travel per pet carrier.
- The pet carrier must be sufficiently large to allow the pet to turn around and lie down in a natural position.
- Transport within Colombia of dogs and cats only requires a vaccination card.
- For the transport of birds you must have an Internal Mobilization Guide (Guía de Movilización Interna) issued by the ICA in their offices at Colombian airports.
- For trips to international destinations you must comply with the requirements of each country.
- The animal must be presented for thorough inspection.
- The validity of the Sanitary Inspection Certificate depends on the authority of each country, in the case of ICA in Colombia the certificate is valid of 24 hours.
-Dogs and cats older than four years and who wish to enter Porlamar (Isla Margarita-Margarita Island) must present a rabies vaccination certificate issued by a veterinary with validity for a year.
Passengers who travel to Panama with pets must take into account the following:
- Present the sanitary authority certificate issued by the sanitary authority in the country of origin and authenticated in the Consul of Panama in that country.
- The Quarantine department in Panama is in charge of deciding which pets can enter Panama and is available in the Tocumen airport from Monday to Friday.